Valley of Fire State Park

valley of fire state parkValley of Fire State Park is located only six miles from Lake Mead and 55 miles northeast of Las Vegas via Interstate 15 and on exit 75. Valley of Fire is Nevada's oldest and largest state park, dedicated 1935. The valley derives its name from the red sandstone formations and the stark beauty of the Mojave Desert. Ancient trees and early man are represented throughout the park by areas of petrified wood and 3,000 year-old Indian petroglyph.

Popular activities include camping, hiking, picnicking and photography. The park offers a full-scale visitor center with extensive interpretive displays. Several group use areas are also available. The park is open all year.

We highly recommend this adventure for families and for those who enjoy the great outdoors. The park is easily accessible to travelers of all ages.

General Questions about the Valley of Fire State Park:

  • How large is the Park?
    The Valley of Fire has almost 36,000 acres of land and has about 20 miles of roadway to travel on in the park itself
  • Where can we ride bicycles in the park?
    There are no designated trails for bicycles at this time, so you can use the roadway or any pre existing roadway.
  • Where does our water come from? Power?
    The water is pumped out of a well that is 1500 feet down. It is over 800 feet to the water table. The pump is 940 feet down. Power lines are underground.
  • Is the water safe to drink?
  • What do the piles of rocks mean coming into and inside of the park?
    They are called Hoodoos. Their legend/folklore is that the higher a person stacks the rocks, the better luck or good fortune they will have on their hike, hunt, or journey. They are also used by hikers to mark a spot or turn on a trail. Today, They are mainly stacked up by people who want to leave their mark in the park. They are not natural to the Valley of Fire’s landscape and therefore are not appreciated inside the park boundary.
  • What is the elevation at the Visitor Center, west, and the east?
    Visitor Center is 2,000 feet, the west 3,000 feet and the east is 1,500 feet.
  • Are there any restrooms and picnic areas in the park?
    Yes. There are several restrooms and picnic areas located through out the park.
  • Does Valley of Fire sell food, snacks, or drinks inside the park?
    NO. We do have water spigots where you can get drinkable water from.


  • Who was Sergeant Clark?
    John G. Clark, retired, 13th New York Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, died June 1915, age 72. He was driving a buckboard through the desert on the Arrowhead trail (early trail to the Muddy). He stopped, tied his horse to the back of the buckboard, lay down and died of thirst at this point in the Valley of Fire.
  • When was the Visitor Center built?
    In the late sixties, however it was remodeled in the late ‘80’s to what you see today.


valley of fireGeology:

  • Why are the rocks red?
    Iron oxide (rust) colors the rocks. The black is “desert varnish” composed of manganese and other oxides.
  • Why are there holes in the rocks?
    Natural erosion caused from wind and rain.
  • What is the process that makes wood petrified?
    Over the centuries, quartz crystals take the existing shape of the wood leaving behind what we see today. The harder components of the wood mold the growing crystals so they take on a “wood like” appearance.



  • What kinds of animals are found here?
    Various reptiles such as snakes, lizards, and desert tortoises are found throughout the park. Also mammals such as bighorn sheep, coyotes, kit fox, and the white tailed antelope ground squirrel.
  • Are the snakes in the Visitor Center poisonous?
  • What snakes are found in the park?
    Various rattlesnakes, such as the Sidewinder, Speckled, and Mojave Green Rattlesnake can be found in the park. Other snakes found in the park include the Gopher Snake, California King Snake, and Red Racers.


Rules & Regulations:

  • Can we climb the rocks?
    Yes, however climbing on Arch and Atlatl Rock is not permitted. If there is a group that is interested in rappelling in the park, the party must notify a Ranger before they start. This activity is also only allowed at Lone Rock. There are no chalk or spikes allowed when rappelling, only a natural tie offs are allowable.
  • Can I drive off-road?
    Off road driving is prohibited in the park; however there is an area outside the park known as The Logandale Trails where off-roading is legal. This area can be accessed off of Liston Road in Logandale.
  • There is also an area called Bitter Springs which is located off of Mile Marker 3 on the road leading towards the West Entrance of Valley of Fire State Park.
  • Can we take rocks from the park?
    NO. It is against the law to remove any rock, plant, or animal life from the park.
  • Is hunting allowed in the park?
    NO. Hunting is not permitted inside the Valley of Fire Park boundaries.
  • What is hunted in the area?
    Bighorn sheep are hunted on the National Park and BLM lands.
  • Why can’t we bring water bottles into the building?
    Spills have damaged both the carpet and displays.
  • Why do we have to pay to come through the park?
    Your fees help to preserve and maintain the park for your enjoyment and the enjoyment of future generations.
  • Can we drink alcoholic beverages in the park?
    Yes. However, the laws still apply to drinking and driving and also open containers are not allowed in vehicles.
  • Do we need to wear helmets when riding a motorcycle in the park?
    Yes. The Valley of Fire is still in the state of Nevada. It is a Nevada law to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle.
  • If a motor home is towing a car, does the car have to pay a fee?
    All towed vehicles are exempt from paying entrance and camping fees.

road through the valley of fireDirections:

  • How do I get to Valley of Fire State Park?
    From LasVegas:
    Take I-15 North to exit 75. Take a right at the end of the exit ramp and follow the road heading towards the Valley of Fire State Park. The park is approximately 18 miles East of I-15.
  • From Mesquite:
    Take I-15 South to exit 93. Take a left onto NV 169 and follow the road through the towns of Logandale and Overton heading towards Valley of Fire State Park.
    You can also take I-15 South to exit 75. Take a left at the end of the exit ramp and follow the road heading towards the Valley of Fire State Park. The park is approximately 18 miles East of I-15.
  • From Las Vegas via Lake Mead:
    Take Lake Mead Blvd (NV 147) East towards the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Turn left onto NV 167. Take the first left after Overton Beach turn out heading West towards the Valley of Fire State Park. The park entrance is approximately 1.5 miles from the NV 167.
  • Where is the closest gas?
    Moapa Valley Smoke shop at exit 75 on I-15. (14 miles west of the West Entrance) or Overton, (14 miles north of the East Entrance)
  • How far is Lake Mead from here?
    The closest accessible area to Lake Mead is Overton Beach; however, there are no facilities there. The first marina with facilities is Echo Bay. It has a boat dock, restaurant, gas, camping, motel, and RV park.
  • How far is the town of Overton from here?
    About 14 miles. There is also gas and food there.
  • Where can I get food?
    The town of Overton, Echo Bay, and the Moapa Tribal Smoke shop have restaurants. We do not sell any food, snacks, or drinks inside the park
  • How far is it to White Domes?
    5 ½ miles one way to Whites Domes on the road near the V.C.



  • Can I make a reservation for camping?
    No. other than the Group Use Campgrounds, Atlatl Rock Campground and Arch Rock Campground are occupied on a first-come-first-serve basis.
  • How much is it to camp?
    The total paid per night is $20.00, which includes the park entrance fee of $10.00. The new expansion sites which have water and power hook ups are an additional $10 more per night for a total of $30 per night.
  • How much is it to camp in the Group Use area?
    The Group use camping fee is $25 per night plus an additional $20 per vehicle/per night. A maximum of 12 cars type vehicles are allowed at each Group use area. A maximum of 45 people area allowed per site. There are only 3 group use sites. Reservations are required for the Group Use Camping Area.
  • How can I make a Group Use Reservation?
    You can reserve the Group Use area by calling the Valley of Fire park office at (702) 397-2088. Reservations for January 1st through February are taken starting on November 15th. We start taking Group Use Reservations for the rest of the year on January 2nd at 8:30am, no earlier.
  • Are there fees for use of the Picnic Areas?
    Your $6 Entry Fee covers the use of the picnic areas. Areas such as the Group Use or the two Campgrounds require an additional fee.
  • What are the quiet hours?
    10:00pm to 7:00am are the quiet hours in the campgrounds.
  • What time is check out in the campground?
  • Can the handicapped sites be used by non-handicapped people?
    Yes, but every single regular site has to be occupied in both campgrounds first.
  • Can 2 vehicles camp at one site?
    Yes, but fees are paid per vehicle, not per site.


Nevada State Park Passes:

  • Do you accept any Park Passes?
    We accept ONLY the Nevada State Parks Passport ($100), the Valley of Fire Annual Pass ($75), and the Senior Pass for Nevada State Parks ($30). We DO NOT accept any National Park Passes or Golden Eagle Passes
  • What is required to get a Senior Pass for Nevada State Parks?
    You must be at least 65 years of age and have been a resident of Nevada for at least 5 years.
  • Do the park passes include camping fees?
    The Senior Pass is the only pass where camping is included in the permit. However it does not cover the Electric and Water surcharge for use of the new Campground loop with hook-ups. The Electric and Water fee is $10. The Nevada State Parks Passport and the Valley of Fire Annual Pass cover only the entrance fees, and still require the payment of camping fees.